Reintroduction of Modified Recycling Services on Haida Gwaii
As part of the North Coast Regional District’s (NCRD) Service Restoration Plan, the NCRD is pleased to announce the reintroduction of modified recycling services on Haida Gwaii commencing June 9th, 2020. The NCRD remains engaged in in transition planning activities to be proactive in minimizing health and safety risk to our employees and the public. We have worked collaboratively with the Province of B.C., WorkSafeBC and our employees to develop COVID-19 safety plans and enhanced sanitation protocols across our various facilities and operations.
As part of this planning the NCRD has carefully reviewed and modified the recycling operations of the Island Solid Waste department to ensure compliance with current provincial health orders and the safety of our employees and the general public.
The following will recycling services will be gradually reintroduced and will remain in effect until further notice:
- The Village of Queen Charlotte Recycling Depotwill reopen on June 14th, 2020. The depot will be open Sunday, Monday and Tuesdayof each week from 10:00AM to 4:00PM.
- The Port Clements Landfillwill begin collection of recyclable materials on June 9th, 2020 and will now remain open on all Saturdays. The depot will be open Tuesday –Saturday of each week from 9:00AM to 3:00PM.
- The recycling transfer stations on Haida Gwaii will remain closed at this time, with the exception of the monitored Sandspit and Tlell transfer stations.
- NCRD recognizes the disruption this may cause residents and has included an additional day for drop-off at the landfill to accommodate resident access to recycling service.
- The NCRD is asking residents to please pre-sort their recyclable materials prior to drop off at one of the above facilities, and to please respect all facility safety guidelines and directional signage.
- The NCRD is currently accepting plastics, cardboard, printed paper, mixed paper, newsprint and magazines. The NCRD is currently not able to accept glass, tin cans or Styrofoam materials.
The above changes will be in effect until further notice. The NCRD will be undertaking a comprehensive review of the island solid waste management system in 2020 and into 2021 as part of updating its Solid Waste Management Plan. Additional information on how you can get involved in this important planning process to shape the future of waste management services on Haida Gwaii will be released in the coming months.
The NCRD recognizes the challenges and opportunities we collectively face in transitioning into the “new normal”. We ask that all are patient and understanding with businesses, neighbours and yourselves as we work to implement new processes and procedures to ensure the safety of our communities and residents. If you have any questions with respect to modified recycling services on Haida Gwaii please contact the Island Solid Waste department by telephone at 1-888-557-9339 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.